I cannot believe that we hit the 20 week milestone yesterday! Time is flying and also somehow ticking by kinda slowly at the same time. We get to go to the doctor today! I've never looked forward to going to the doctor so much! Today is baby boy's anatomy scan, and we cannot wait to see him!
14 Weeks- 20 Weeks
- Due Date: December 25, 2018
- Baby is the size of a: banana (20 weeks), zesty zucchini (19 weeks), sweet potato (18 weeks), pomegranate (17 weeks), avocado (16 weeks), navel orange (15 weeks), peach (14 weeks)- all of this info came from The Bump app
- Total weight gain: 12 lbs since before baby (What to Expect When You're Expecting suggests gaining 2-4 lbs in the first trimester and 1-1.5 pounds per week in the second trimester.) I'm right on track, but whoa- that number was not pleasant to see on the scale. Guess I need to let that go since it's only going to continue to grow.
- The bump: I was so excited when Parker's mom and our sister-in-law told me they saw a little bump! They also said that I am carrying low, which is common when expecting a boy. Once they said that to me, I finally actually saw it myself. I got Parker to take a picture in my bathing suit, and there was no more questioning it! Photo below under the 19 weeks section. :) I'm 20 weeks along- I'm ready to be out of the did she just have a big meal or is there a baby in there phase!
- Symptoms: I got sick for the first time. I know it is more common to get sick during the first trimester, but I never did. The nausea was real, but I never actually got sick until week 14. And one more time at week 16. I get extremely tired at night and start to feel sick if I try to stay up late, so I don't. I go to bed before the exhaustion/sick feeling kicks in. My sense of smell is still really strong, and the smell of seafood in the grocery store still makes me feel nauseous.
- Food cravings: fruit, Sour Patch Kids, plain Cape Cod chips, chicken salad, chocolate chip cookies, chips and salsa/queso/guac, peanut butter, Gatorade Zero
- Food aversions: grilled seafood, grilled chicken, vegetables with a slimy texture (like zucchini)
- Sleep: Great! The Unisom and Vitamin B combo makes me sleep very well.
- What I miss: beer/ fun drinks on vacay! I haven't ever missed it while at home, but when I was at the beach and the lake, I definitely wanted to crack open a beer or enjoy a bushwhacker like the rest of the fam.
- Movement: not feeling any yet. I'm hopeful it will happen soon!
- Maternity clothes: these Zella maternity leggings- they sold out during the Nordstrom sale, but they are back in a few sizes. I love them so much that I gave them 5 stars and wrote my first review on the Nordstrom site. I said- These leggings were my first maternity purchase. I LOVE all Zella leggings, and these did not disappoint! Medium is my usual size, but I didn’t really know what to get for maternity. I ordered medium and large, and I like the fit of the medium WAY better than the large. They both fit pretty similarly in the legs, but the large was way too roomy in the band part at the top. I’m keeping both just in case I need large closer to the end of pregnancy, but I suggest going with your true size. Medium is perfect for me!
- What we are most looking forward to: the anatomy scan and doctor's appointment today at 2:00!
- Apps I've used: Ovia Pregnancy, The Bump, and Glow Nurture
- Products I've been loving: Same answer as the first trimester- leggings (specifically these) and sweatshirts (specifically this one), pills for nausea, What to Expect When You're Expecting, I have heard lots of bloggers say they use oils and things to prevent stretch marks, so I need to look into that
- Purchases for baby: this fluffy bear jacket is all Parker and I have purchased so far, but my mom has stocked us up on some sale items from the N Sale and some baby boy clothes she has scored on sale! I shared some of them on Insta stories yesterday! Some of her finds include: this little puppy sweatshirt and sweatpants set, this DockATot, this Little Giraffe baby blanket, this Little Giraffe towel, this Mustella newborn arrival gift set, this Halo sleepsack swaddle, this Halo sleepsack wearable blanket!
Week 14- We went on vacation for the 4th of July! We went to visit my family in Orange Beach. Our trip included fun at the beach, pool, and lots of amazing restaurants! You can find my Orange Beach Travel Guide here. We also went to Florbama of course. I think it was the first time ever that I ordered a virgin daiquiri, and I'm here to tell you that it was delicious! On our drive back to Southaven, I got sick for the first time. And then Bailey (our dog) did. That ride back was not so fun.
Week 15-Nordstrom started their big anniversary sale for cardholders. I spent a lot less this year than I did last year! I haven't been doing a lot of shopping lately because I honestly don't know what to buy for myself. I have truly been living in leggings and pullovers. I did add to my comfy clothes collection because I know I will be able to continue wearing these things throughout pregnancy.
Week 16- We announced we were having a baby here! I am still so grateful for the outpouring of love we received! We went to the doctor thinking we would find out the gender of our baby, but we did not get to at this appointment. We were able to hear the baby's heartbeat with a doppler though! It said his heart rate was 145 beats per minute! And we got back a lot of blood work. The doctor said all of the tests came back great, and we have a healthy baby! However, I had it in my mind that we would find out our baby's gender, so I was so disappointed when we did not! Our nice doctor scheduled us to come back in exactly one week for the ultrasound lady to give us this info! I spent so much time on Pinterest this week looking at gender prediction charts. About 95% of them showed that we would be having a girl, but I had a gut feeling from the very beginning that we were having a boy!
Week 17- We found out we are having a baby BOY! Check out all the details in this blog post.
Week 18- The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale went live to the public, and I did lots of N Sale blogging. Sharing a picture below with my favorite items because they have been restocked (now that the sale is over- insert eye roll emoji). I also craved chocolate chip cookie dough, as well as chips and salsa/guac/queso. I never got that egg-free cookie dough. However, I did get to eat chips and salsa/guac/queso at On the Border with Parker for our weekly lunch date!
Week 19- Parker finished Phase 1 of his job here in Southaven, so he actually had a real week off where he could enjoy a relaxing vacation! We went to his parents' lakehouse at Gap Lake and enjoyed a very relaxing week with his family! This was the first time I realized I actually had a bump! Warning- If bump pictures make you uncomfortable, close your eyes and scroll past the next picture! I didn't think I was going to be one of those girls that put their hands like this, but I learned quickly that when you do not, it is not a flattering look (or at least it wasn't for me anyway).
Week 20- Yesterday was the day we hit 20 weeks, so I don't have much to report. Although we did go to the doctor today for an anatomy scan! The ultrasound was longer than usual because the lady thoroughly checked the baby’s heart, brain, spine, kidneys, arms, legs, facial features, etc. At one point, I said- so is he looking healthy? She said l can’t answer that. Only the doctor can tell you that. I immediately felt terrified. If she knew the baby was looking healthy, she could easily say yes, right?? From that point forward, Parker and I were both worried out of our minds. Although he did not tell me he was until after he got home from work. We were called back to the doctor’s office (ours was out, so we saw a different one), and we had to sit there for 40+ minutes wondering what was going on and dying to ask how our baby was. As soon as the doctor walked in, she said she had looked over all of the results, and everything she saw was good and showed that the baby was healthy. She confirmed that the ultrasound lady is not supposed to tell us how the baby is doing and only doctors can do that (at this office anyway). Immediate relief flooded over us. We asked quite a few questions, and we left feeling immense gratitude and relief that our baby boy is looking healthy. We will go back in 4 weeks, and I will be tested for gestational diabetes then. That’s it for now!
Other Baby-Related Blog Posts:
Thanks so much for reading!! Have a wonderful day!