I am actually 18 weeks pregnant today, but I want to use my blog to scrapbook this journey, so I am going back to document the first trimester today! I will be back next week with a 19 week bumpdate covering everything from 14 weeks to 19 weeks, and then this type of post will become less frequent! I'm thinking every 4 or 5 weeks. I'm just kind of playing catch up now since we didn't announce we were expecting until 16 weeks!
If you missed my pregnancy announcement blog post, you can click here to check that one out. And click here to check out the post where I shared we're having a baby boy! If you're all caught up on those, let's get started! By the way- this is a long read. Feel free to skim! :) Bumpdates have become my favorite type of blog post to read from other bloggers because I learn so much helpful info, so I got a little excited/wordy with my own!
- Due date: December 25, 2018
- Baby is the size of a: sweet pea (6 weeks), blueberry (7 weeks), raspberry (8 weeks), cherry (9 weeks), strawberry (10 weeks), lime (11 weeks), plum (12 weeks), lemon (13 weeks)- all of this info came from The Bump app
- Total weight gain: 2 lbs (What to Expect When You're Expecting told me 2-5 lbs is the suggested weight gain range for the first trimester. I think my nausea kept this number in the lower end, but I have gained more than that since I am now out of the first trimester and will share that in my next bumpdate!)
- The bump: towards the end of the first trimester, my stomach looked like I had just eaten a big meal, and my ability to suck in was no longer a possibility
- Symptoms: no symptoms at all until the end of week 7, then the nausea and exhaustion kicked in. I never had morning sickness or actually got sick, but I had nausea just about every single day starting at week 8 around 4 or 5 pm and lasting until bedtime. My doctor suggested eating something between lunch and dinner because nausea would be inevitable if I didn't always have something in my stomach during the first trimester. Plain Cape Cod potato chips became a real life saver. And I used my free samples of Diclegis until I ran out (that stuff is $$$$$) and switched to a doctor recommended substitute of Vitamin B and Unisom (the one that says Doxylamine Succinate on the front). Also, my sense of smell has become insanely stronger than ever before.
- Food cravings: FRUIT, Sour Patch Kids, diet lemonade, french fries, sandwiches (no deli meat at home, just sandwiches from restaurants that have been cooked), cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios and Life) for breakfast, TCBY
- Food aversions: seafood, grilled chicken, vegetables with a slimy texture (like zucchini), eggs, avocado
- Sleep: Great! The Diclegis or Unisom and Vitamin B combo makes me sleep very well.
- What I miss: coffee and Advil. I waited way too long to purchase Tylenol for headaches, but it has been greatly appreciated.
- Movement: not feeling any yet!
- Maternity clothes: haven't purchased any yet, but my white jeans definitely became uncomfortable towards the end of the first trimester
- What we are most looking forward to: finding out the gender and sharing our exciting news with everyone!
- Apps I've used: Ovia Pregnancy, The Bump, and Glow Nurture
- Products I've been loving: leggings (specifically these) and sweatshirts (specifically this one), pills for nausea, What to Expect When You're Expecting, I have heard lots of bloggers say they use oils and things to prevent stretch marks, so I need to look into that
- Purchases for baby: nothing yet (surprisingly)! Looking forward to buying things when we find out the gender!
Week 5- We found out we're pregnant! I took 2 tests (one that had a plus and minus sign and one that said the actual word Pregnant). More about that here.
Week 6- I went to my doctor in Mobile who confirmed our pregnancy! She talked to me about a few basics, and I got my first ultrasound, which showed baby was doing well and had a very strong heartbeat! And the due date was Christmas day! Then I went to a friend's wedding and had to convince all of my very best friends that I had an "ear infection" and wasn't drinking because I was on antibiotics. Basically every single one of them knew I was lying and asked if I was pregnant. They know me too well. :)
However, I did learn from this, but what I’m sharing doesn’t apply to your best friends because it’s what best friends are supposed to do. And for the record, I have done the exact same thing to them. What I learned is that there’s really just never a good time to ask someone if they are pregnant. You never know what someone is going through- they could be having a hard time getting pregnant and not want to talk about it, they could be newly pregnant and not ready to share, they could have just had a baby and they're working on losing baby weight, etc. If you're unsure, stay safe and let them bring it up to you! If they are pregnant, it will come out eventually!
Week 7- I went to a blogger event in Memphis that was from 5-8 and started feeling realllllly sick for the first time on the way home. Fortunately, Parker was with me because he convinced me we needed to stop and get some food (not what I was really wanting at the time). We stopped at McDonald's and got some french fries, which actually helped. This was when the nausea every evening thing started.
Week 8- I asked a friend for a doctor recommendation in Memphis because I had only ever been to my same doctor in Mobile my whole life and didn't even know how to begin the search for a new doctor. We went to this new doctor at week 8, day 1 and had the BEST experience. We felt a sense of peace and knew this was the best place for us. They did an ultrasound and Parker got to see our baby for the first time (because he was not with me when I went to my doctor in Mobile)! And we both absolutely loved our doctor!
Week 9- My TCBY cravings started and still haven't totally gone away...
Week 10- Went to another friend's wedding and learned it's much easier to just fake drinking than fake sick. Having Parker there made this much easier too. He ordered club sodas with lime for me all night. I was worried about staying out so late because nighttime is when I typically felt so nauseous, tired, and awful. However, I was completely fine until the very end of the night. All my friends went to a bar after the reception, and I physically could not. Felt major FOMO, but I basically had to get back to the hotel, take my Diclegis, and hit the hay.
Week 11- We had another doctor's appointment where they did another ultrasound... we told the lady that we were about to tell our families about our baby and she made sure to include some cute words on the sonogram pictures for us to give our parents! Later this week, my family came to Southaven, and we got to tell them we're having a baby! I did the worst job of documenting this because I truly had the best time living in the moment without my phone. But basically as soon as they got in town and brought all of their stuff in, Parker and I handed each of them a beer. We put our wedding huggers around each of their beers, and I tied sonogram pictures around each of their huggers that said Baby Goodman due Christmas Day! We had the best weekend celebrating our exciting news, as well as an early Father's/ Grandfather's Day! :)
Week 12- Parker and I went to Dothan to tell his family we're having a baby! We went to dinner Friday night after our nephew's baseball game with Parker's parents, brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. We told Parker's dad we wanted to give him his Father's Day gift a couple of days early, and he opened his actual gift, along with a baby onesie that said you're going to be grandparents again! Parker picked it out and purchased it! It was such a fun night with them, and then we got to share the news with Parker's sister, brother-in-law, and 2 nieces at lunch the next day with the whole Goodman fam! Parker's dad actually did it for us by pulling out his father's day gift AKA the onesie to show them! Our niece Anna Clay had already made the prediction we were coming in town to tell them we were having a baby... she was right!
Week 13- We got our pregnancy announcement photos taken! You can click here to check out the dress I wore.